Published : 2014-12-20 (over 3 years Ago) - Last updated over 2 years Ago
17 Weird winter facts
Enjoy these fun, incredible, interesting, awesome and random winter facts.
1. Niagara Falls froze solid in the winter of 1925
2. The winter of 1932 was so cold that Niagara Falls froze completely solid.
3. About 100, 000 condoms were given to Olympic athletes at the Vancouver Winter Olympics 2010, and they used them all!
4. If the supervolcano under Yellowstone Park erupted, Earth would face years of volcanic winter (ash blocking the sun)
5. Moose lose their antlers every winter and grow new ones the following spring.
6. On average, people living in New York take more steps during the summer and winter than people of any other state.
7. Sleeping through the summer, rather than the winter is called ‘Aestivation’.
8. If your car gets stuck in the snow this winter, put the floor mats right under the tires for easy traction.
9. Female emperor penguins lay 1 egg in the winter, leave it with the male, coming back only in the spring.
10. Research suggests that children conceived during the second half of winter are more athletic, physically fit, and stronger than their peers.
11. If all of the volcanoes on Earth erupted, the effects on the planet would be more devastating than a nuclear winter.
12. The 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics cost more than the last 13 Olympics combined.
13. The female brown bear will hibernate all winter long, not even waking up to give birth!
14. In the winter, the fanaloka lives off of the fat it stores in its tail.
15. Deer grow new antlers every year. They shed them off during winter after mating season.
16. Today, the northern hemisphere will experience the shortest day of its year, marked at 22:03 GMT, known as the Winter Solstice.
17. The winter of 1932 in the US was so cold that Niagara falls froze completely solid.