1. One species of wolf spider "purrs" to potential mates by standing on a thin surface, like a leaf, and vibrating it until it makes a sound.
2. If climate change continues on its current trajectory, 1 in 6 species living today may be extinct by the year 2100.
3. The Amazon is home to an estimated 390 billion trees and 16, 000 diverse tree species.
4. Cats are believed to be responsible for the extinction of several species of animals.
5. The only species of bear that does not move its ears to pick up sound is the giant panda.
6. The bottom of your heel alone has 80 different species of bacteria living on it.
7. Dogs have developed bigger brains than cats because highly social species of mammals need more brainpower than solitary animals.
8. Study suggests that whales were evolved from ancient species of wolves.
9. Moths are more likely to lay their eggs on, feed on, and rest on the plant species where they lost their virginity.
10. 99% of all species that have ever existed on Earth are now extinct.
11. Around 150 200 species become extinct every day.
12. Mosquitoes have been around for about 80 100 million years. There are more than 3, 000 species of them.
13. There are 700 species of microbes living in your mouth.
14. Owls are found in all different habitats and there are different owl species found on all continents except Antarctica.
15. As humans live longer, more animal species are becoming extinct.
16. The Gerenuk, a species of antelope, can stand on 2 legs to achieve heights up to 8 feet to reach food.
17. African elephants are the largest land mammals on the planet, and the females of this species undergo the longest pregnancy—22 month
18. There is a species of cactus known as the “Dildo Cactus.”
19. Camels have either one hump (Dromedary) or two humps (Bactrian). Both species store fat in their humps for use during lean times.
20. Some species of squid can fly.
21. There is a species of fish that can be hallucinogenic when eaten. The Ancient Romans reportedly consumed it as a recreational drug.
22. Some ant species enslave other ants from different colonies and force them to there work.
23. Contagious yawning, it turns out, is yet another feature we share in common with many species of primates
24. The Golden lion tamarin is a species of monkey that can be found sleeping in abandoned woodpecker nests.
25. There’s a species of fish called “slippery dick.”
26. The Ross seal is a seal species that never leaves the Antarctic Ocean.
27. Black panthers are actually not all the same species. They are usually leopards or jaguars with darker fur.
28. More than 43, 000 spider species are known, and at least that many remain undiscovered.
29. 4 common species of bumblebee have seen their numbers decrease by 96% in recent decades
30. here are about 2, 000 species of sea stars. Some live in deep water, some in tropical areas, some in cold water.
31. There are five species of flamingo, ranging in height from under 32 inches to over 50 inches
32. Some lizard species have no legs and have to move around like snakes.
33. The Galapagos Penguin lives on the equator. It is the only species of Penguins to live in the Northern Hemisphere.
34. There are more than 375 shark species, but only a dozen of them are dangerous.
35. Some species of eels travel up to 4, 000 miles to breed, a journey which can take up to seven months.
36. The Hairy Frog is a frog species where the males grow hair like structures on their thighs.
37. Out of the 9 species of bears, 7 are on the IUCN list of threatened species.
38. There is a species of bird, Antpitta avis canis Ridgley, that barks like a dog.
39. Female fireflies from the Photuris genus mimic the flashes of other firefly species to lure them and eat them
40. Cannibalism has been observed in over 1, 500 species.
41. Cats, namely stray and feral cats, have been blamed for the global extinction of 33 species.
42. There are 4, 800 species of frog in the world but only one of them goes 'ribbit'.
43. At least 99% of all the species that ever existed have left no trace in the fossil record.
44. Biologists cannot agree on definitions for the words 'species', 'organism' or 'life'.
45. The largest species of kangaroo stands nearly 7 feet tall.
46. 7, 000 new insect species are discovered every year.
47. A species of earthworm in Australia grows up to 10 feet in length.
48. All species of beetles are edible.
49. Each day, up to 150 species of life become extinct.
50. In just about every species of mammal, the female lives longer than the male.
51. Some species of fish have voices.
52. There are more than one million animal species on Earth.
53. There are some species of snails that are extremely venomous.
54. There is a species of clam that can grow up to four feet long and weigh up to 500 pounds.