1. Sharks kill 12 people per year – People kill 11, 417 sharks per hour.
2. New Yorkers bite 10 times more people than sharks do worldwide.
3. More people get killed by hippos each year than sharks, bears and lions combined.
4. Hot dogs kill more people each year than sharks do.
5. For every human killed by a shark attack, 2 million sharks have been killed by humans.
6. Humans kill more than 100 million sharks every year, which is about 11, 000 per hour.
7. The smallest shark in the world is the dwarf lantern shark, which is about 8 inches long.
8. Cows kill approximately 22 people every single year in the US. Sharks are responsible for <1 death in the US, and fewer than six worldwide.
9. You can track sharks online on SharkTracker.
10. Humans are more likely to be killed by a vending machine, than they are by a shark
11. Every individual shark has its own distinctive character and personality – Some sharks are shy, some are more social.
12. A shark can detect a fish’s heartbeat before attacking and eating it.
13. Sharks kill 12 people per year humans kill 11, 417 sharks per hour.
14. Sharks swim toward storms, instead of running away from them like most animals.
15. Sharks and humans share a common ancestor, and some of our genes are still similar.
16. Sharks kill 12 people per year people kill 11, 417 sharks per hour
17. Sharks aren’t smooth, they have sharp scales on their skin
18. A thresher shark has a fin that can be as long as the rest of its body! It uses it as a whip to stun prey.
19. Hammerhead sharks eat stingrays; sometimes they can be found with stingers stuck on their heads.
20. Sharks have been known to calm down and relax when listening to AC/DC.
21. More people are killed by sand castles than by sharks.
22. Sharks actually urinate through their skin.
23. Many sharks lay eggs, but hammerheads give birth to live babies that look like very small duplicates of their parents.
24. Bull sharks can swim in freshwater; they’ve been found as far as 2600 miles up the Amazon River.
25. When baby sharks are born, they swim away from their mothers right away and are on their own. In fact, their mothers might see them as prey.
26. Sharks are the only animals that never get sick.
27. Captured tiger sharks have been found with snakes, birds and even tires, license plates, and tin cans in their stomachs.
28. Some fish, such as the Great White Shark can raise their body temperatures. This helps them hunt for prey in cold water.
29. A pod of killer whales off the coast of California learned to hypnotise sharks and then eat them.
30. Greenland sharks eat polar bears and reindeer and can live until 200 years old.
31. The frilled shark is a super rare shark that closely resembles prehistoric sharks. It can swallow food whole like a snake!
32. Sharks see contrast very well, wearing the color yellow or orange in the water is said to be risky.
33. A shark can detect 1 part blood in 100 million parts water
34. Sharks are the only animals that never get sick. They are even immune to every known disease including cancer.
35. Greenland shark eats polar bears and reindeer and can live until 200 years.
36. Sharks don’t have bones, they have cartilage.
37. Blue sharks tend to bite and nip each other during courtship. To cope, the females have skin that’s twice as thick.
38. The bramble shark gives birth to no more than 2 babies at a time; the embryos eat each other before they are born.
39. There are more than 375 shark species, but only a dozen of them are dangerous.
40. The soupfin shark is pregnant for almost an entire year. They can give birth to as many as 50 young sharks, called “pups”.
41. The hammerhead shark uses its hammer to pin down stingrays so they can eat them.
42. Piranhas are known for their sharp, pointed teeth and sharklike feeding frenzies, but the threat to humans is largely exaggerated
43. A soon as tiger shark embryos develop teeth they attack and eat each other in the womb.
44. Coconuts kill more people in the world than sharks do.
45. Coconuts kill more people in the world than sharks do. Approximately 150 people are killed each year by coconuts.
46. How does a shark find fish? It can hear their hearts beating.
47. Lake Nicaragua in Nicaragua is the only fresh water lake in the world that has sharks.
48. More than 90% of shark attack victims survive.
49. You are more likely to get attacked by a cow than a shark.