1. Intelligent men and women are easily annoyed by people in general but tend to say nothing in attempt to avoid meaningless arguments.
2. “Tom and Jerry” was a British slang term from the 1800’s, meaning “to fight and cause trouble”.
3. Intelligent men and women are easily annoyed by people in general but tend to say nothing in attempt to avoid meaningless arguments
4. Karate was originally called "te". It was later influenced by material artists from China and called "kara te" meaning "Chinese hand"
5. Happiness is a by product of the pursuit of success and meaningful goals, rather than successful accomplishments, studies suggest.
6. "Semantic satiation" occurs when a word loses its meaning and looks or sounds like gibberish because of constant repetition.
7. ‘Re:’ in email subjects is not an abbreviation of ‘Reply’, but a complete word, borrowed from Latin, meaning ‘about’, ‘with reference to’.
8. The word “bagel” is derived from the German word “bougel, ” meaning “bracelet, ” coming from the Yiddish “beygl.”
9. Doctors have discovered a whole family of people who have high bone density“meaning that their skeletons are virtually unbreakable.
10. The English word “raccoon” is an adaptation of a native Powhatan word meaning “animal that scratches with its hands.”
11. Today, curse words no longer have literal meaning, but are used for emotional expression.
12. Though it may take time for a shy person to make friends, once they do, their friendships tend to be more meaningful & last longer.
13. "Bride" is an old English word meaning "cook."
14. Arvind V. Mahankali won the Scripps Spelling Bee last night by spelling “knaidel, ” a Yiddish term of German origin meaning “dumpling.”
15. “Canada” is an Indian word meaning “Big Village”.
16. China has 350 million smokers — meaning the Chinese smoking population is higher than the entire population of the United States.
17. Cashews, pistachios and mangoes are all in the same family of plant, meaning people with nut allergies often react to mango as well.
18. The directors of Despicable Me actually wrote a language for the gibberish the minions speak throughout the film. Each word has a meaning!
19. More than 70% of apologies are meaningless
20. The word "orgy" come from the Greek word "orgia, " meaning "secret rites."
21. Over 70% of all apologies are meaningless.
22. The word "bride" comes from an old proto germanic word meaning "to cook."
23. Semantic Satiation is a phenomenon when a word loses its meaning temporarily because of constant repetition.
24. At any given time, 0.7% of the world population is drunk – Meaning at least 50 million people are drunk right now.
25. A recent study found that cold viruses replicated more efficiently at colder temperatures, meaning that cold weather does cause colds.
26. The "F" bomb traces back to the Norwegian "fukka" and Swedish "focka", both meaning "to copulate."
27. Arguing over text is the worst way to argue because the lack of tone decreases the meaning of the words. Talk it out in person.
28. The original meaning of the word "silly" is "blessed"
29. The word "algebra" comes from the Arabic "al jebr, " meaning "the reuniting of broken parts."
30. Gorilla” comes from a Greek word meaning “a tribe of hairy women.”
31. Rats and mice are actually ticklish. And they laugh, meaning they make lots of squeaking sounds if tickled.
32. Dreams carry more weight and meaning than our conscious thoughts while awake. 70% of your dreams contain secret messages.
33. More than 70% of all apologies are meaningless.
34. Like all living things, humans are bioluminescent (meaning we glow) – We glow brightest during the afternoon.
35. Teens who are grateful experience an increase in mental health and a greater sense of meaning in life.
36. Intelligent men and women are easily annoyed by people in general but tend to say nothing in attempt to avoid meaningless arguments.
37. Repeating a common word over and over until it loses all meaning and sounds weird is called semantic satiation.
38. Canada is an Indian word meaning 'Big Village'.