Published : 2014-12-20 (over 3 years Ago) - Last updated over 2 years Ago
25 Interesting london facts
Enjoy these fun, incredible, interesting, awesome and random london facts.
1. If every ice sheet and glacier on Earth melted, global sea levels would rise by 260 feet—London and L.A. would be underwater.
2. Chocolate may be a more effective cough remedy than cough medicine, according to a study at Imperial College London.
3. In the late 1600s London was plagued by an attacker who would spank his victims with a rod and shout "Spanko!" before running away.
4. London has the most billionaires of any city in the world.
5. There are over 300 languages spoken in London schools.
6. In 2010, a black Nigerian couple gave birth to a blue eyed, blond haired white baby in London.
7. King James I of England kept 11 lions, 2 leopards, 3 eagles, 2 owls, 2 mountain cats and a jackal in the tower of London.
8. When flying from London to New York by Concord, due to the time zones crossed, you can arrive 2 hours before you leave
9. A restaurant in London once sold ice cream made with breast milk.
10. Traffic in central London moves at the same speed as horse drawn carriages a century ago.
11. Traffic in central London moves at the same speed as horse drawn carriages did in the 1800s.
12. The Prince Charles cinema in London has ninjas that sneak up on anyone in the theater who is making noise or throwing things.
13. On this day in 1988 a Pan Am flight from London to New York exploded in mid air killing everyone on board.
14. A woman was found dead on the couch of her London apartment 3 years after her death. The TV was still on.
15. The first London Underground trains were nicknamed 'sewer trams'.
16. At the outbreak of the Second World War, zookeepers killed all the poisonous insects and snakes in London Zoo, in case it was bombed and they escaped.
17. In 1894, The Times estimated that by 1950 London would be nine feet deep in horse manure.
18. According to the Forestry Commission, London is 'the largest urban forest in the world'.
19. London, with a population of over 8, 000, 000, is not a city, though the City of London, with a population of about 7, 000, is.
20. Soccer developed in London's famed Newgate Prison in the early 1800s. Prisoners who had their hands cut off for crimes of theft came up with a sport that used only the feet. The game spread from there.
21. The Summer Olympic Games have been held in London 3 times, in 1908, 1948 and 2012.
22. In the great fire of London, in 1666, half of London was burnt down but only 6 people were injured.
23. A man gets robbed in London every 4.5 minutes! (and he is getting fed up of it).
24. In the great fire of London, in 1666, half of London was burnt down but only 6 people were injured.
25. London's Pall Mall became the first street lit by gaslight in 1807.