Published : 2014-12-20 (over 3 years Ago) - Last updated over 2 years Ago
22 Fun building facts
Enjoy these fun, incredible, interesting, awesome and random building facts.
1. Since 2012, 900 workers have died building the infrastructure for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar— around 4, 000 workers may die to complete it.
2. During its construction, the Great Wall of China was called the longest cemetery on earth because 1 million people died building it.
3. Studies have shown that people who have a fear of heights perceive buildings to be much taller than they actually are.
4. "Oil" is the favorite word of people building online dating profiles in the U.S. states of Texas, Oklahoma, and North Dakota.
5. A rat can fall from a 5 story building without injuries.
6. Superman was originally incapable of flying in the 1940s; hence the phrase "Able to LEAP tall buildings in a single bound."
7. There is a dog shaped building in New Zealand.
8. The Pentagon was constructed so that no point in the building is more than a 10 minute walk from any other point in the building.
9. The Empire State Building makes more money from tickets sales for its observation decks than it does from renting office space.
10. Iceland is building a temple to worship Odin, Thor, and other Norse gods, and the religion already has 2, 500 adherents.
11. China is building massive cities just to keep builders busy and generate growth. The result are ghost metropolis.
12. The Empire State building gets hit by lightning about 25 times per year.
13. Widening and building roads actually adds traffic — an increase in roads leads to an increase of cars on those roads.
14. If caught in a burning building, get low. The breathable air will be near the floor.
15. A high GPA looks good on paper, but networking and building friendships is what gets you a job.
16. The tallest building in the state of Vermont is only 11 stories (124 feet) tall.
17. There are more than 10 million bricks in the Empire State Building.
18. Approximately 25, 000 workers died during the building of the Panama Canal, and approximately 20, 000 of them contracted malaria and yellow fever.
19. There are 365 steps on the front of the U.S. Capitol Building one for every day of the year.
20. A rat can fall from a five story building without injury.
21. Mailing an entire building has been illegal in the U.S. since 1916 when a man mailed a 40, 000 ton brick house across Utah to avoid high freight rates.
22. One percent of Greenland's population lives in a single apartment building.