Published : 2014-12-20 (over 3 years Ago) - Last updated over 2 years Ago
18 Fun bridge facts
Enjoy these fun, incredible, interesting, awesome and random bridge facts.
1. Cambridge University is older than the Aztec and Inca empires.
2. Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge, boosts the British economy by £1 billion a year—women buy the products and clothes she uses.
3. A man threatening to jump from a South Carolina bridge was once convinced to stop with a pizza.
4. Pierre Terrail (a french knight) single handedly defended a bridge against 200 Spaniards during the battle of Garigliano.
5. A man once jumped off of a bridge leaving the suicide note of “Absolutely no reason except I have a toothache.”
6. 2% of people who jump off the Golden Gate Bridge survive the fall. One man even jumped off for "fun". #strangehobby
7. Every bridge & tunnel in Switzerland has built in explosives so the entire country can be turned into a mountain fortress in time of war.
8. If you jumped from the Golden Gate Bridge, you would hit the water at about 75 mph with a force of 15, 000 lbs. per square inch.
9. 94% of people who were prevented from jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge between 1937 and 1971 are still alive or died naturally.
10. On average, at least one suicide takes place every two weeks in the Golden Gate Bridge, making it the most popular place to commit suicide.
11. Gephyrophobia is the fear of bridges.
12. In Vietnam there is a steel bridge that is shaped like a dragon and shoots fire out of its mouth.
13. Designing a bra is similar to designing a bridge.
14. 1 out of every 4 bridges in the U.S. either carries more traffic than originally intended or is in need of repair.
15. Maggie Smith has an honorary Doctor of Letters and honorary degrees from Cambridge and St. Andrews.
16. A gang once stole a bridge that weighed 10 tons.
17. The Sydney Harbour Bridge is the widest long span bridge and tallest steel arch bridge in the world, and the 5th longest spanning arch bridge according to Guinness World Records.
18. There are 635, 013, 559, 599 possible hands in a game of bridge.