Published : 2014-12-26 (over 3 years Ago) - Last updated over 2 years Ago
22 Awesome astronaut facts
Enjoy these fun, incredible, interesting, awesome and random astronaut facts.
1. An astronaut threw a boomerang while visiting the International Space Station and it came back to him, even in the absence of gravity.
2. Astronauts have a patch of Velcro inside their helmet so they can scratch their nose.
3. Astronauts cant cry in space because of the weightless environment. The tears just collect in little balls and sting your eyes.
4. Since weightlessness causes the spine to expand and straighten, astronauts may measure up to two inches taller in space.
5. Space smells like "seared steak" or "hot metal" to astronauts returning from spacewalks
6. An Astronaut can be up to 2 inches taller returning from space. The cartilage disks in the spine expand in the absence of gravity.
7. Astronauts come from America – Space explorers from Russia are called “cosmonauts.”
8. A study found that NASA astronauts, U.S. presidents, and Nobel Laureates consist mostly of first borns.
9. After six months on the International Space Station, astronauts are .0007 seconds younger than people on Earth.
10. Mae Jemison, the first African American woman to go to space, was also the first real astronaut to appear on "Star Trek."
11. Some of the shooting stars we can see from Earth are actually astronaut poop burning up in the atmosphere.
12. NASA once banned beans because astronaut farts could cause sudden fires on a spacecraft.
13. Astronauts come from America – Space explorers from Russia are called "cosmonauts."
14. Astronauts in space lose significant bone and muscle mass because of zero gravity.
15. Astronauts aboard the International Space Station can see about 16 sunrises and 16 sunsets a day.
16. Astronauts can see cosmic lightning when they close their eyes in space.
17. Astronauts eat hot sauce in space to clear sinuses.
18. M&Ms are the best space snacks according to astronauts.
19. Astronauts get taller when they are in space.
20. Astronauts cannot burp in space.
21. In space, astronauts cannot cry properly, because there is no gravity, so the tears can't flow down their faces.
22. The heart of an astronaut actually gets smaller when in outer space.