Published : 2014-12-21 (over 3 years Ago) - Last updated over 2 years Ago
21 Awesome antarctica facts
Enjoy these fun, incredible, interesting, awesome and random antarctica facts.
1. The NYC sized iceberg (Pine Island Glacier) about to break free will be the largest single contributor to sea level rise from Antarctica
2. A scientist in Antarctica managed to find a date (through Tinder) with another scientist who was camping 45 minutes away.
3. Norway owns an island roughly halfway between Africa and Antarctica.
4. The largest iceberg ever measured is bigger than Jamaica: 4, 200 square miles. It broke away from Antarctica in 2000.
5. 51 countries have joint international control over Antarctica, since there is no permanent human population.
6. You cannot work in Antarctica unless your wisdom teeth and appendix are removed.
7. Ants have colonized almost every landmass on our planet. With the exception of Antarctica, the Arctic, and a handful of islands.
8. A scientist in Antarctica managed to find a date (through Tinder) with another scientist who was camping 45 minutes away.
9. Kate Upton almost died from hypothermia while posing semi nude in Antarctica for the 2013 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition.
10. A scientist in Antarctica managed to find a date —through Tinder — with another scientist who was camping 45 minutes away.
11. Owls are found in all different habitats and there are different owl species found on all continents except Antarctica.
12. The only continent without reptiles or snakes is Antarctica.
13. About 40 million years ago, Antarctica was as warm as modern day California.
14. Wilson’s storm petrels are birds that breed in Antarctica who migrate all the way to North America in the summer.
15. Dogs, foxes, and wolves live on all the world’s continents except Antarctica.
16. The peregrine falcon is one of the fastest birds in the world and can be found on every continent, except Antarctica.
17. There are no ants in Iceland, Greeland, and Antarctica.
18. Antarctica is the only land on our planet that is not owned by any country.
19. Even Antarctica has an area code. It's 672.
20. The warmest temperature ever recorded on Antarctica was 3 degrees F.
21. There are no ants in Iceland, Antarctica, and Greenland.