1. Marshmallows date back to ancient Egypt where sap from the marsh mallow plant was combined with honey and nuts to make a...
2. Blue eyes are the result of an ancient genetic mutation.
3. In ancient Rome, it was considered a sign of leadership to be born with a crooked nose.
4. In Ancient Greece, throwing an apple to a woman was considered a marriage proposal.
5. Both ancient Egyptian and Greek medicine recognized obesity as a medical disorder.
6. In Ancient Egypt, men could take time off of work to care for menstruating daughters and wives.
7. Harvard scientists say that an ancient earth may exist within our earth.
8. Ancient Babylonians did math in base 60 and not base 10, giving us 60 seconds in a minute, 360 degrees in a circle, etc.
9. Ancient Egyptians had a 70% accurate method for detecting pregnancy: a woman would pee on some seeds—if they sprouted, she was pregnant.
10. In Ancient Greece, wearing amethysts was once thought to keep you from getting drunk.
11. When a cat passed away in Ancient Egypt, every member of its household would shave their eyebrows off in mourning.
12. Spiked dog collars were invented in ancient Greece and were originally designed to protect dogs throats from wolf attacks.
13. Ancient Romans believed that veils would shield the bride from evil spirits.
14. According to ancient Jewish scripture, ensuring women climaxed before men was believed to spark the birth of a boy.
15. Many ancient Egyptian pharaohs were overweight and unhealthy, likely due to a sugary diet of alcohol, bread and honey.
16. Study suggests that whales were evolved from ancient species of wolves.
17. Cats were mythic symbols of divinity in ancient Egypt.
18. When a family cat died in ancient Egypt, family members would shave off their eyebrows as they mourned.
19. Athletes in ancient games competed in the nude. In fact, "gymnasium" comes from the Greek word "gymnós, " which means naked.
20. A paleoscatologist is an archeologist who studies ancient poop
21. Drinking milk used to be considered a luxury by the ancient Greeks and by the Romans.
22. In Ancient Greece, it was common practice for men to have male lovers until they were 30 or so, then settle down with a woman and have kids.
23. One origin of the reason for not pointing at someone is the ancient belief that one could transfer evil spirits by staring and pointing.
24. Ancient Egyptians used to wear hair extensions.
25. Ancient myths say if your right ear itches, someone is speaking well of you. If your left ear itches, someone is speaking ill of you.
26. Ancient Greeks believed pregnancy could be prevented if a woman held her breath during intercourse and sneezed afterwards.
27. The abbreviation for pound, "Lb, " comes from the Latin word "Libra, " which is derived from an ancient Roman unit of measurement.
28. In ancient Egypt, killing a cat was a crime punishable by death.
29. Ancient myths theorize that our dreams are just blurred memories of either a past life or a look into our future
30. An ancient Greek philosopher called Crysippus died of laughter while watching a drunk Mule try to eat from a fig tree.
31. Ancient Indians believed that doing handstands would cure baldness.
32. Throwing apples at people was a way of declaring your love in ancient Greece.
33. In ancient Japan, warriors would smear toad grease all over their bodies with the belief it would make them puncture proof
34. Women in ancient Egypt prevented pregnancy with plugs made of crocodile droppings.
35. There is a species of fish that can be hallucinogenic when eaten. The Ancient Romans reportedly consumed it as a recreational drug.
36. In ancient cultures it was believed that the diamonds are the drops of divine semen.
37. According to ancient magic, turning your bare bottom towards danger will work as a protection spell.
38. People in Ancient Greece and the Middle Ages believed the world was round, not flat.
39. To protect themselves from STDs, the Ancient Egyptians used cobra skins molted to form condoms.
40. The word "school" comes from the ancient Greek word for "free time."
41. New research suggests ancient people made cave art while high on hallucinogenic drugs.
42. The Ancient Greeks used to exercise naked.
43. Elephants were trained by the ancient Romans to perform on the tightrope
44. The word “school” comes from the ancient Greek word for “free time.”
45. The Ancient Romans had a festival in which the slaves and slave owners would switch places.
46. The ancient Greek democracy lasted for only 185 years.
47. In its ancient form, the carrot was purple, not orange.
48. Ancient Egyptians slept on pillows made of stone.
49. Ancient Romans at one time used human urine as an ingredient in their toothpaste.
50. In ancient Rome it was considered a sign of leadership to be born with a crooked nose.
51. The ancient Egyptians bought jewelry for their pet crocodiles.
52. To take an oath, ancient Romans put a hand on their testicles; that's where the word 'testimony' comes from.