1. African lions are headed toward extinction and may be wiped out soon.
2. Norway owns an island roughly halfway between Africa and Antarctica.
3. African Americans are 3x likelier and Latinos are 2 3x likelier to report less than 5 hours of sleep a day, compared to whites.
4. There are people in Sierra Leone, Africa that think Ebola is a hoax created by doctors to steal blood from patients.
5. A 2010 poll of 18 countries in sub Saharan Africa found that over half of the population believes in magic.
6. Some television stations would edit out parts of the Popeye cartoons due to offensive, racist portrayals of African Americans.
7. 41% of children in Africa aged 5 to 14 are involved in child labor.
8. African American men were not considered equal members of the Mormon church until 1978 because they were thought to be the sons of Cain.
9. Alex the African grey parrot was the first and only non human animal to ask an existential question.
10. The U.S imprisons a much larger percentage of its black population than South Africa did at the height of apartheid.
11. There are countries in Africa with higher vaccination rates than the U.S.
12. An animal breeding experts were sent to Africa by Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin, to try to produce an army of half man, half monkey soldiers
13. Giraffe have become extinct in at least seven countries in Africa.
14. Mae Jemison, the first African American woman to go to space, was also the first real astronaut to appear on "Star Trek."
15. Geologists believe that about half the unmined gold in the world is in South Africa.
16. More than 6 million Americans who identify as European likely carry African ancestry.
17. In Jurassic Park, Dolphin screams, walruses bellowing, geese hissing, an African crane’s mating call were mixed to formulate raptor sounds.
18. Asian hair grows 30% faster than Caucasian hair, while people from Africa tend to have hair that grows slower.
19. African Grey Parrots have vocabularies of over 200 words
20. African elephants are the largest land mammals on the planet, and the females of this species undergo the longest pregnancy—22 month
21. The elephant’s closest living relative is the rock hyrax, a small furry mammal that lives in rocky landscapes across sub Saharan Africa
22. There is a tribe in Africa who believe Europe is the afterlife, and all its inhabitants are spirits.
23. As late as the 1950s, human zoos — places where Asians, Africans, and Native Americans were displayed — were popular in the Western world.
24. 96 elephants are killed every day in Africa.
25. Germany has paid $61.8 Billion to Jewish victims, to this day the U.S. has not paid $1 to African Americans for 400 years of brutal slavery.
26. A second outbreak of Ebola has begun in the Congo, independently of the West Africa outbreak.
27. A girl abducted in Africa was saved from her attackers and defended for about half a day by three lions.
28. If we could shrink the earths population to a village of 100 people, the ratio would be: 57 Asians, 21 Europeans, 14 Americans & 8 Africans
29. The South American and African lung fish can sleep out of water for months buried in the mud of dried up river beds
30. South African slang for "traffic light" is "robot."
31. South African earthworms can grow as long as 22 feet
32. African elephants produce approximately 100 kilograms of manure per day.
33. The first female self made millionaire in America was an African American woman.
34. Melanin in dark skinned African Americans provides natural protection from the sun, equivalent to SPF 13.
35. A Savannah cat is a cross between a domestic cat and the Serval, a medium sized, large eared wild African cat
36. The African white backed vulture lacks feathers on its long neck. This helps the bird dig deep into a carcass without getting soiled.
37. African Wildcats were first domesticated 10, 000 years ago. They are the ancestors of modern housecats.
38. After hearing about the 9/11 attacks, the Maasai tribe in Africa gave 14 cows to America as consolation.
39. Found throughout southern Africa, aardvarks use their keen sense of smell to sniff out their favorite food—termites.
40. African elephants can recognize human languages, genders and ages associated with danger.
41. In 2011 researchers let 100 paper planes go 23 miles above Germany. Some have since been found in Canada, USA, Australia and South Africa.
42. The longest cricket match took place in 1939 between England and South Africa, after 14 days it ended with a tie.
43. A baboon called Jackie became a private in the South African army in World War I.
44. Diamonds mined in Brazil are harder than those found in Africa.
45. No one has ever been able to domesticate the African elephant. Only the Indian elephant can be trained by man.
46. The cicada, a fly found in Africa, spends 17 years of its life sleeping; and only two weeks is awake during which mates and then dies.
47. The Giant South African Earthworm can grow up to 22 feet long and 1 inch in thick.